Saturday, November 22, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup

This is a true story, and some of you may have heard it before. For those who have not, I figured it was worth sharing. :) Several years ago, my wonderful husband wanted to learn to make homemade chicken noodle soup. I got the ingredients and put them in the panty. One evening, he decided to give it a try. I was laying on the couch not feeling too well while he was slaving away in the kitchen. Before long, the house really started to stink. Figuring it was just me not feeling well, I tried to keep my opinions to myself.

Dinner was ready and I decided to be a good sport and try to eat a little of his wonderful stinky soup. He dished it up, and we went to the table to eat. Andrew was about 2 or 3 and not a picky eater at all, but after one bite he was done! I tried it, and decided the same thing. Meanwhile, Courtney kept eating bowl after bowl of this stinky soup. I finally mentioned how much it stunk and it smelled like catfood. The recipie called for canned chicken, which I'd never bought before, so I assumed it was just that. I decided then and there to never buy it again, either!

Being the proud chef that he is, Courtney took his leftover soup to work the next day. It got the same reaction there, but nonetheless, he kept eating and loving it. The guys all thought it stunk and wouldn't think of trying it.

A couple of days went by and I got into the pantry for something and I saw it -

The canned chicken was still in the pantry!!! I used to keep one can of catfood in there in case we ran out...and it was gone. That's right, folks, my husband had used 9 Lives chicken flavored catfood in his beloved soup. GAG! The worst part was, he didn't flinch when I told him this. He just said, "Well, whatever it was, it was sure good." Of course, the guys at work found out and for a long time they'd start meowing when he came around.

Needless to say, Campbell's makes a very suitable chicken noodle soup should anyone in my house crave it. And I don't think I've bought the canned chicken since. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I never get tired of that story :)

Lauren said...

That's spectacular.



how did you get that funny, interesting, cool thing on the bottom?

Carol said...

I think I found it in customize. Tried to jazz up my blog a little, but still am not happy with it yet. But, I do like the little check boxes at the bottom. See if that gets ya there, and if not, let me know. I just hate not getting comments, so thought that might be some feedback. Sounds needy, I know...but I am encouraged to blog more when I feel like there's a point to doing so.