Friday, December 12, 2008

"Let it go, let it go, let it go..."

Isaac was walking around singing this song the other day. He was singing it to the tune of "Let it Snow", and I started to tell him it was 'snow' and not 'go'. But, I knew he'd get upset if I corrected him, because honestly with his debating skills, the child should be a lawyer. :)

So, he just kept singing, "let it go, let it go, let it go". And I realized, he was really on to something. Wouldn't the world be a much nicer place if this became everyone's mantra? Can you imagine how different a day would be if everyone only focused on what's really important and let the rest go? I tend to be a little more like Mary than like Martha, but I'm working on it. I get wrapped up in all that needs done and miss the little moments. My Christmas tree is a perfect example of that. I have all the original boxes the ornaments came in, and the kids tearing into them to 'help' decorate usually stresses me out. I decided I want my children to have happy memories of Christmas, not of me being the ornament nazi. So this year, they decorated the tree - and I didn't even give my opinion on which tree to get, either. They only used about 1/4 of the ornaments and told me I could do the rest. I was tempted, but I left it alone. It's been that way for a week now. Sure, I'd like to make it look prettier, but why? Instead, I wrapped some presents to put under the tree. This is something I usually procrastinate on...and a little thing I could do to really get the kids excited.

When Christ returns, he's not going to make sure my tree was perfect, or that my house is either. I know that He wants me in His Word, and taking care of the beautiful gifts he's given me in my children. Even though it's early for resolutions, I am going to try to sing Isaac's little song and "Let it Go" if it's not important or eternal.


Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (New International Version)

1 comment: