Thursday, March 18, 2010

MDA Shamrock Appearance


Yesterday was an exhausting day for us. First of all, we did a lot the 2 days before due to spring break (more on that in another post). Plus, I still struggle with facing things I never wanted to face in life, being in a "club" I didn't ask to join. Most of the time, my faith is strong and I rely on God to carry me through. But, I'm human, and sometimes it just hits. Especially when there is so much in one day.

Andrew was asked to make an appearance on behalf of the MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) in Terre Haute. They wanted him to go to Lowe's and talk to the employees and thank them for selling the shamrocks. The MDA has expanded their shamrock sales through the end of March this year, due to lower sales due to the economy. As always, Andrew did great and always manages to come up with something profound to say. He's a natural! He wanted the cashiers to know that MDA pays for all the camp fees for the kids, and he is looking forward to going this summer. And also that you can't always see what a person is dealing with everday. Wow! The store manager said he wished he'd arranged for a newscrew to be there because he knew that would increase the shamrock sales for sure!!

After this, we also had a couple of appts. at Riley Children's Hospital, where we heard a couple of dreaded words...progression, and surgery. Then we went to visit my family and the kids enjoyed playing with their cousins. However, mom just started chemo for stage 4 colon cancer. I overheard her talking to my Isaac about losing her hair in the next couple of weeks. He just looked at her funny in typical Isaac fashion and ran off to play.

I never wanted any of these scenerios to happen in my life. However, I know that God has a plan. I used to always think God doesn't give you more than you can handle, but I've come to realize that thinking is wrong. He doesn't want us to handle it ourselves. He wants us to rely on Him to get through. And boy, do I rely on Him!

No comments: